Scenic Iceland and the Northern Lights (Winter 2019-2020)
Brochure Type: Europe & Britain Premium 2019
Experience a world of natural phenomena; by day marvel at waterfalls, volcanoes and incredible landscapes and by night, seek out the dancing lights that fill cloudless skies.
- Fontana: At a geothermal bakery, sample delicious rye bread dug hot from the ground, served with butter.
- Frioheimar: Explore a family-run farm and sample their sweet-tasting, homegrown tomatoes.
- Dining Summary: 6 Breakfasts (B), 3 Dinners (D) and 1 Dinner with Wine (DW), all with tea or coffee. Departures travelling over New Year's Eve and will enjoy a festive Highlight Dinner which will replace an included meal.
- Borganes: Learn about Iceland's history with a visit to the fascinating Icelandic Settlement Centre with your Local Expert.
- Reykjavik: Witness nature's most spectacular show on earth - the Northern Lights.
- Hellisheioavirkjun: Visit Iceland's newest geothermal heat and electric power station.
- Hvolsvollur: Visit the Lava Centre, an interactive museum where you will learn about the geology and natural occurrences that have influenced and created Iceland's incredible landscapes.
- Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss: Admire the majestic beauty of these two impressive waterfalls.
- Hekla and Eyjafjallajokull: See these magnificent volcanoes.
- Gullfoss: See the spectacular two-tiered waterfall. This Icelandic equivalent of Niagara Falls drops a total of 32 metres, while spanning the entire width of the Hvita River.
- Geysir: Visit the famous spouting Geysir which has become synonymous with hot springs all around the world.
- Thingvellir: The Parliamentary Plains are the most important historic site of the country, as its the meeting place of the Althing, the world's oldest parliament founded in A.D. 930.
- Reykholt: Stop at this pretty village, home of poet and medieval scholar Snorri Sturluson.
- Reykjavik: Explore the city with your Local Expert. See the old town centre, the parliament building, Hofoi House, the colourful harbour and the Hallgrimskirkja.
- Blue Lagoon: Enjoy a truly indulgent, once-in-a-lifetime experience at the most visited attraction in Iceland. Its geothermal seawater flows from volcanic aquifers 2,000 metres within the earth, emerging at the surface enriched with algae, silica, and minerals. With new-found friends, enjoy bathing in the lagoon in style, as you sip on a celebratory cocktail.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call 1 -866-934-6292 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14170883
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 12/31/2018
- 7 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Reykjavik||The Viking City of Reykjavik.: Welcome to Iceland. At Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport, transfers depart for your hotel at 08:00 and 16:30. Join your Travel Director and travelling companions at 18:15 for your Welcome Dinner and enjoy the opportunity to get to know each other over a pleasant evening of good food and wine. Afterwards, search for the most spectacular show on earth - the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis. See the breathtaking night sky filled with an array of different colours. Please note: The Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed. (Dinner with Wine)|
Icelandair Hotel Natura, Reykjavik.
|Day 2||Vik||South Shore Adventure to Vik.: Take a journey through the stunning landscape of Iceland's south coast to visit its newest geothermal heat and electric power station at Hellisheioavirkjun. Travel to the modern Lava Centre in Hvolsvollur. Opened in 2017, it is dedicated to Iceland's riveting volcanic activity and earthquakes. Your journey continues as you witness the majesty of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Stand awestruck by the beauty and powerful force of these thundering waterfalls before venturing on to view more phenomena. After seeing the magnificent Hekla and Eyjafjallajokull volcanoes, arrive in the welcoming communtiy of Vik. Later, perhaps enjoy another chance to go in search of the mystical Northern Lights? (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Icelandair Hotel Vik.
|Day 3||Fluoir||The Golden Circle to Fluoir.: Embark on a day of discovery around Iceland's Golden Circle, taking in some of the famous landmarks this magical country has to offer. Experience the exploding hot springs at Geysir and the mighty Gullfoss waterfalls, the Icelandic equivalent of Niagara Falls. Next stop is Frioheimar, to find out about the processes in Icelandic greenhouse horticulture. Visit a family-run vegetable farm that specialises in tomatoes. Explore their greenhouses and sample the sweet, unique flavour of their lovingly-grown crop. Continue to your hotel in Fluoir, where there is again a chance to look to the night sky and watch nature's theatre unfold. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Icelandair Hotel Fluoir.
|Day 4||Borgarnes||Thingvellir, Borgarnes and Husafell.: Continue to Thingvellir, where the first meeting of the Icelandic parliament was held in A.D. 930. This remarkable natural site lies on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge line, where the American and European tectonic plates meet. In Fontana, visit a geothermal bakery to sample the delicious rye bread, dug hot from the ground and served with butter. Journey along the trail of Viking warrior and poet Egill Skallagrimsson to Borgarnes. En route, stop at the pretty village of Reykholt, home of poet and medieval scholar Snorri Sturluson. Journey on through glorious landscapes taking in views of the Hraunfossar and Barnafoss waterfalls and Deildartunguhver, Europe's most powerful hot spring. On arrival in Borgarnes, learn about Iceland's history with a visit to the fascinating Icelandic Settlement Centre. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 5||Reykjavik||Reykjavik sightseeing.: Journey back to the capital of Reykjavik, where sightseeing shows you Old Reykjavik, the 19th century parliament building and Hofoi House. In 1986, US President Ronald Reagan and Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev met here for the famous Reykjavik Summit. Continue to see the colourful harbour and the modern, landmark church, the Hallgrimskirkja, which can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. The afternoon is at leisure. (Breakfast)|
Icelandair Hotel Natura, Reykjavik.
|Day 6||Reykjavik||The Blue Lagoon.: Relax and enjoy your final day with a visit to Reykjavik's Blue Lagoon. Surrounded by lava fields and snow-capped mountains, the Lagoon is a wonder of nature and offers a unique experience for both body and soul. Choose to bathe in the pleasantly warm, mineral-rich geothermal waters, or perhaps enjoy a water massage or spa treatment? Facilities also include an indoor geothermal pool, a winter garden and restaurants. With your newfound friends, toast the culmination of your fascinating journey of discovery with a celebratory cocktail. The rest of the day is free, perhaps spend time relaxing in a sidewalk cafe? (Breakfast)|
Icelandair Hotel Natura, Reykjavik.
|Day 7||Reykjavik||Depart Reykjavik.: Your Icelandic adventure comes to an end, with transfers arriving at Reykjavik's Keflavik Airport at 05:00 and 12:30. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. (1a) Highlight Festive Dinners: This departure will have New Year's Eve in Fludir.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class